Two beauty posts in a row? What has this site turned into?! Well, indulge me for another day if you will!
7. Nars Lipstick in Red Lizard and Fire Down Below: I've had it in my mind to collect all of the Nars matte lipstick shades, since the first one I purchased [Funny Face, a matte fuchsia] has been my favorite lipstick I've ever purchased. It's bold, goes on smoothly, doesn't smudge or get all over my teeth, and stays on for the entire day! It's magical. I was hoping the other matte colors would be the same, and I was right! Both of these reds had the same great properties. But I really only needed one red lipstick. Fire Down Below is a lovely deep wine red, but is a bit of a wintery color. Red Lizard is much brighter and can work in any season. So though I really liked both shades, I opted to stick with the more universal Red Lizard. If i'm running out and don't have time to put on a whole face of makeup, if I can just manage to get a bold matte lipstick on, and maybe a bit of eyeliner or mascara, I can get away with looking pretty polished. This red is definitely one of my must haves!
8. Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer in Honey: I've used Amazing Cosmetics concealer for the years now. Just a tiny bit goes such a long way, and it's fantastic for covering up spots, but it was just a little too rich for the under eye area. I wanted something creamy and light, and this Nars concealer is just that. The color is just a tad dark for my skin, but this is the time of year where I start to get tan [I have the complexion of a Hawaiian if I stay out in the sun at all], so I think I'll keep it. It blends into my skin well enough anyway, and covers up any spots quite nicely. I also prefer concealers that have a wand like this, since the tubes get messy very quickly.
9. Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz in Soft Brown: I already use and swear by Anastasia's Brow Powder Duo for a little over a year now, but I had seen several blogs use the Brow Wiz pencil, so I thought I'd try and see if I preferred it. It has a super skinny pencil point, which allows it to go on more naturally. I have some thin spots in my brows, but they're dark enough not to need any major filling in. I decided that for me, the powder works best since it just fills in a bit more naturally. The pencil works best for people who have very fine eyebrows or one without much shape to them. My mom was the perfect candidate for this pencil, and so she decided to keep it for herself!
10. Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in Bachelorette: another blogger recommendation, and I'm all for lipsticks that don't need to be reapplied multiple times a day. I loved the bold pink color of this shade, and it did go on very smoothly and is easier to apply compared to traditional lipstick. Once it dried on my lips, it left a beautiful matte swath of color. I almost loved this, but decided to return it for a couple reasons. I noticed that throughout the day, the color stayed on my lips well, but it also started to travel below my bottom lip, leaving a stain of pink that didn't want to budge. The formula also dries out my lips much more than my usual matte lipsticks, causing my lips to flake. That was the deal breaker for me. I'd still recommend trying this out, but if you tend to get dry lips, I'd steer clear.
11. Kat Von D Tattoo Liner: I'm terrified of using liquid liners. I don't think I've ever successfully been able to apply it, but watching videos of girls using this particular liner made me feel like even I could give this a go. I love the packaging. It's a liquid liner but with an applicator much like one of my favorite markers. My first try using it actually resulted in a decent job! The liner stays put ALL DAY. I use pencil liners or navy or dark brown eyeshadow as liner, but none of them seem to stay put. They almost all either fade away or smudge, but this 'tattoo' liner really lives up to its name. The only problem is getting a consistent application. I'm still not the best at this. Sometimes I completely botch it up and have to remove my eye makeup entirely and start over. Not fun. But I think this is the sort of thing that will improve with time and practice. So even though I don't usually wear makeup everyday [while painting furniture, I look like less like me and more like a zombie with a top knot, eek!], I've been trying out this eyeliner daily, and I am getting the hang of it. So I'll keep it for a bit longer, and if I can master it, this will surely become part of my go-to makeup bag.
This was quite a large haul of products, but I did return three of them and gave one to my mom. So my actual take away was: two lip balms, blush, foundation, brush, under eye corrector, concealer, lipstick and liquid liner. I still have a couple other things I'm running low on, but I think I'll be able to hold out a bit longer before I succumb to the siren call of Sephora!